You like to run?
You google search “running” to find motivation.
And then you see it.
Your life as a runner.
10. A coworker asked me if I see that guy who runs around our neighborhood. He always looks like he is in pain. Since my coworker knows him, I looked him up on Ultrasignup and he has participated in elite races including the Western States Endurance Run. It’s okay if we look like we have no idea what we are doing. We don’t get extra points for making it look easy.
9. When you first get the taste of a race metal and finishers shirt, you get excited to sign up for the next race. You tell yourself it’s because of the non-profit the event is supporting, but really it’s that bling!
8. How to feel elite if you are a beginner. Have you ever done an out and back race where you see the front of the pack runners coming at you before you hit the half way point? Yea, you just made them look good! Well done! Keep going, mid and back of the packers are just as important!
7. The hardest part of running is getting out the door. Or is it the first mile? You choose. I have had those runs where I can’t wait for it to stop, and when I get home I’m looking for races to sign up for. Why? Because when we have a target to aim for our running has an objective. Don’t laugh…it’s not funny.
6. When your running is on point – you feel like your shoes have wings. And, you want the world to know. What is better than posting your strava stats on your social media? Well, THIS of course!
5. When I hear people cheering for me, I start looking around foolishly wondering if it is someone I know. When I realize it’s a random citizen this is the best reaction I can have. Power up, and get back to running!
4. In case you don’t know, a fartlek is a workout to help build speed and endurance. Do you remember those old cartoons where the cars back fire and then speed off into the distance? I feel some correlation.
3. This really isn’t funny. Unless your an elite, your appetite after a run causes you to consume more calories than you burned. Don’t let the rest between runs get to long or you’ll feel it on your wasteline! Just because your not running doesn’t mean your appetite stops (believe me!)
2. Training often includes a 2 mile run where you run harder than you normally would. The first time out you breathlessly anticipate your watch’s announcement of that mile mark. Each run after that you will only be breathless by the level at which you push yourself!
2. Nobody warns you and you have no idea where the photographer is hiding! You may see in the registration something about a race photo, but you figure that means at the end of the race near a photo booth. Nope…remember to look for that lens. Try to have a signature move like jumping, the peace sign, a wave, hang loose sign, hand stand…you get the idea.
1. Don’t feel singled out if this is you. We’ve all been there one time – or more. Just remember, if you are still breathing you are doing good. If I run upon you and you’re on the ground like this, know I’ve got your back and will be calling 911!
Do you have any funny stories from one of your runs? Maybe we should each go out and make our own meme!